Hi! I’m Jakia, a multi-disciplinary artist who’s living a life full of adventure, creating art and spaces that bring a smile to people’s faces. Born and raised in Detroit, MI, and Rio Rancho, NM, and am currently based in Albuquerque, NM.
Through continuous exploration and not limiting myself to a medium or style, I create work that is accessible to people, work that they can engage with, reflect on, be surrounded by, and lastly, bring a smirk or smile to their faces.
I’m excited about (drum roll);
- Implementing and maintaining circularity into my process and practice
- creating art for children that they can enjoy and be surrounded by in their homes, schools, and public spaces
- creating work that informs and brings awareness about the oceans and marine life conservation and preservation
- developing STEAM curriculum activities and events for youth in my local community
- collaborating with individuals to create authentic wardrobes from what they currently have
- Continuing cultivating, developing, and maintaining the following communities
Kaizoku Uncharted Podcast – Co-Host
Facing the FearBeast, 2022 – Project Assistant
Dysonna Fashion Show
Impressions of Love | 13 Look Collection
SYLA Studio | Peasy Exhibition, Black Womxn’s Tears
Black Girl Magik | Reclaiming Pleasure Vol ii, It Begins From Within